[ RadSafe ] Plutonium from Power Reactors

Thu Apr 10 18:16:29 CDT 2008

Dear Prof. Raabe,

When I say "undesirable" isotopes of Pu, I am only talking about
undesirable for making weapons, not for fueling reactors.  The issues of
neutron absorption cross section and how long an atom takes to fission
after absorbing a neutron are much less important in fuel that is going
to be in a reactor for the next couple years than they are for a
critical mass that will hold together for a handful of nanoseconds
before no longer having a critical geometry.  Like you, I am a supporter
of recycling (or reprocessing) commercial fuel to make more commercial
fuel.  It would have been nice if Carter hadn't paid off political debts
by making a policy he personally knew to be wrong (as a Navy Nuke he had
more than enough knowledge to see that the rational for not reprocessing
commercial fuel was false).  On the other hand, the U and PU in the
spent fuel isn't decaying enough to make a difference, but the fission
fragments are, so when eventually we do reprocess the first couple years
will be with easier to work with material.

I agree with you that new nuclear power plants to meet new need and
replace old fossil fuel plants is the most economically sound way to go.
I personally think cars run on liquid nitrogen might be better than cars
run on hydrogen, but that's a quibble.