[ RadSafe ] Plutonium from Power Reactors

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Fri Apr 11 03:43:50 CDT 2008

In the classical PUREX process, as used in La Hague and (to my
knowledge) also in THORP and Mayak (and don't know about India), Am goes
with fission products. There are efforts to separate the so-called minor
actinides (Am, Np, Cm) because some isotopes are very long-lived (in
particular 237Np, which is furthermore very tricky in the environment
due to its complicated chemical properties). Chemically, Am and Cm go
together (3+) (which is why they are normally analysed together in
environmental alpha assay). The separation is technically feasible with
a kind of annex to the PUREX process (there is ample literature about
this), but expensive. - A related point is the separation of other
long-lived stuff, notably 129I and 99Tc. Also this is possible,
currently most of it goes into the waste fraction, but some is released
into the environment: this is one reason why the La Hague and Sellafield
plants are located right on the gulf stream which carries that waste
away and disperses & dilutes it (hopefully). Its trace can be followed
far into the polar ocean, and there is increasing concern about that
matter (there is plenty of literature about the subject). Again,
near-complete separation from both HLW and the release stream is
technically possible, but expensive. The same is true for 14C and 85Kr,
medium long lived, which are basically released through the stacks (La
Hague is also a very windy place, conveniently) in current practice.
If one chooses to reprocess in large scale, it will probably be
necessary to retain also these effluents (the feasibility has been
demonstrated), but it will probably make reprocessing much more
expensive; I don't know figures, if somebody knows details this would be
very interesting information, because I think that the economical +
ecological future of nuclear power depends on this to some extent.
In summary, radiochemical separation of long-lived radionuclides and
undesirable components of MOX is possible, also to some extent their
transmutation into short-lived waste which can then be added to the HLW
fraction, as well as retention of the volatile effluents; however I am
not sure about the economical impact of such measures. But if the
renaissance of nuclear power takes place, as it appears, which would
quite logically (I think) imply reprocessing, this problem should be
discussed in time, otherwise the public will eventually ask questions;
rightly so.

An overview can be found in IAEA TECDOC-1467 (2005)(& lots of
references) and ORNL/M-1822 (1992), among other sources. Also the
Wikipedia entry "Nuclear reprocessing" is informative, and
www.uic.com.au/nip72.htm of the Australian uranium association.

pb

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."