[ RadSafe ] uranium solubility and acute and chronic exposures on the Russia-Georgia border

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 11 10:52:56 CDT 2008

At 10:14 PM 8/10/2008, James Salsman wrote:
>Were both sides using DU in this conflict?  I'd like to see a
>watershed map of Europe and Asia and concentrations in the adjacent
>sea and sand.
>
>A single dose of uranyl can result in reproductive toxicity, so the
>effect is not limited to chronic exposure.
August 11, 2008

As with all things, "The dose makes the poison."

Uranium is a feeble poison so that  very large internal doses of the
most soluble forms are required to elicit toxic effects. The very low
toxicity of uranium in nature is well known.

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140