[ RadSafe ] Radon in granites HPS letter to NYT

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 18 10:36:32 CDT 2008

At 02:28 PM 8/5/2008, Wes Van Pelt wrote:
>I copied and paste below a paragraph from Dr.
>Toohey's letter to the NYT on radon in granite
>counter tops. (http://hps.org/documents/nyt_countertop_toohey-response.pdf )
>
>  I believe Dr. Toohey made an error in the
> math. I would have said: "... 0.13 pCi/L, 1/32
> of the EPA recommended limit and one‐eighth
> of the natural ambient radon concentration in households..."
*********************************
August 18, 2008

Hi Wes,

I think there was some electronic glitch at work
here because I could not find that error in Dick
Toohey's letter. Here is a partial quote:

"...we find an average kitchen ambient radon
concentration of 0.13 pCi/L, less than
one-thirtieth of the EPA recommended limit and
one-eighth of the natural ambient radon
concentration in households across the United States."

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140