[ RadSafe ] Communicating with the public and the press

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 18 15:08:35 CDT 2008

August  18, 2008

When speaking with the public, Congress, or the press, there are two
four-letter words that we should carefully avoid: "RISK" and "DOSE".

To the public these words mean and imply very different negative
ideas than what we intend. We can substitute "CHANCE" and "LEVELS" to
replace them.

This is the "risk communication" message we need to deliver:

"Low levels of ionizing radiation are not hazardous, not dangerous,
and not a threat! "

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140