[ RadSafe ] Scintillation Counting Question

raymond.ilson at utoronto.ca raymond.ilson at utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 28 13:15:05 CDT 2008

Hi Elaine:

I had a similar problem with small samples taken from absorbent gels
used to contain liquid rad waste. We were counting small samples to
ensure that the disposal criteria were met and that the radioisotopes
in the waste matched those indicated on the tag.

The counts often doubled by waiting 24 hours, so I agree with the
previous comments about solubilization. Sonication, warming,
shaking.... would all likely help, but could lead to residues on the
outside of the vials and interfere with your counting as well. If
there's no hurry, it may be simplest to determine when the counts
peak, which appears to be about 24 hours, and start your counting at
that point.

Ray

Raymond G. Ilson, Director
Office of Environmental Health and Safety,
Dalhousie University,
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Tel:   902-494-1241
Cell:  902-456-2541