[ RadSafe ] Guest Column: Reactor a potential health riskFrom Annapolis Capital

Fri Dec 5 10:49:08 CST 2008

One of the fastest ways for a rural county to have its death rate (by
cancer and other causes) go up it to have a new, better, hospital built
within its boundaries.  Even more so a hospice facility.  When that
happens, people who might otherwise die in another county stay (or even
come) and die to the facility and die in the county in question.  I
hardly think, however, that this is a convincing argument against
hospitals.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Steven Dapra
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:17 PM
To: radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Guest Column: Reactor a potential health
riskFrom Annapolis Capital

Dec. 4

         More anti-nuclear hokum from Joseph Mangano.  Scroll down 3/4
of the way for his comments on the Calvert Cliffs plant (the one
assailed in the linked article below).
http://www.radiation.org/spotlight/071206_rachel.html

         I located the web site of the Calvert County (MD) health
department <http://www.calverthealth.org>.  It says nothing about
radiation hazards, however the county has an active campaign going to
stop smoking.  About 20 percent of Calvert County adults and teens
smoke.  The site quotes the 2004 Surgeon General's report on smoking as
saying this:

"The list of diseases caused by smoking has been expanded to include
abdominal aortic aneurysm, acute myeloid leukemia, cataract, cervical
cancer, kidney cancer, pancreatic cancer, pneumonia, periodontitis, and
stomach cancer. These are in addition to diseases previously known to be
caused by smoking, including bladder, esophageal, laryngeal, lung, oral,
and throat cancers, chronic lung diseases, coronary heart and
cardiovascular diseases, as well as reproductive effects and sudden
infant death syndrome."  A lot of cancers in there, Joe.  Perhaps all
that smoking has something to do with the cancers you so eagerly
attribute to power reactors.

         Here's a link to the ten leading causes of death in Maryland,
1999-2005, all races and both sexes, stratified by age groups.
http://webapp.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe

Steven Dapra