[ RadSafe ] Guest Column: Reactor a potential health risk From Annapolis Capital

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Thu Dec 4 20:16:32 CST 2008

Dec. 4

         More anti-nuclear hokum from Joseph Mangano.  Scroll down 3/4 of
the way for his comments on the Calvert Cliffs plant (the one assailed in
the linked article
below).  http://www.radiation.org/spotlight/071206_rachel.html

         I located the web site of the Calvert County (MD) health
department <http://www.calverthealth.org>.  It says nothing about radiation
hazards, however the county has an active campaign going to stop
smoking.  About 20 percent of Calvert County adults and teens smoke.  The
site quotes the 2004 Surgeon General's report on smoking as saying this:

"The list of diseases caused by smoking has been expanded to include
abdominal aortic aneurysm, acute myeloid leukemia, cataract, cervical
cancer, kidney cancer, pancreatic cancer, pneumonia, periodontitis, and
stomach cancer. These are in addition to diseases previously known to be
caused by smoking, including bladder, esophageal, laryngeal, lung, oral,
and throat cancers, chronic lung diseases, coronary heart and
cardiovascular diseases, as well as reproductive effects and sudden infant
death syndrome."  A lot of cancers in there, Joe.  Perhaps all that smoking
has something to do with the cancers you so eagerly attribute to power
reactors.

         Here's a link to the ten leading causes of death in Maryland,
1999-2005, all races and both sexes, stratified by age groups.
http://webapp.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe

Steven Dapra