[ RadSafe ] 1996 Question 9 Part D.3 answer

Bob Cherry bobcherry at satx.rr.com
Wed Dec 10 11:14:18 CST 2008

John,

It is probably a number that crept in as a unit conversion factor and is
necessary because Eavg in this "equation" probably has to have units of MeV,
or some reason like that.

When I was on the ABHP I championed differentiating between equations and
formulas. You may notice that the "cheat sheet" used during testing,
originally called "useful equations," now has a title that reflects my
efforts.

Equations are relations between quantities, such as mass, length and time,
and are valid no matter what system of units is used, E = mc^2 being a
perfect example. Formulas almost always depend on the system of units.

As a physicist, I prefer equations, but "rules of thumb" are commonly tested
on the ABHP exams and rules of thumb are formulas and not equations, hence,
unit conversion factors.

Good luck on Part II. By that I mean, "keep studying" so luck won't matter.

Bob C