[ RadSafe ] Radioactive Bucking Bars

grahnk at comcast.net grahnk at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 08:10:14 CST 2008

In one of our Orphan Source program pickups, we have encountered two "bucking bars" that are commonly used in riveting operations associated with aircraft manufacture.  The rivet is driven toward the hardened tool steel bar creating the head or bucktail on the rivet which holds it in place.   Both of these have small Cs-137 sources apparently welded or soldered into one side.

I know what the bars are used for, I curious if anyone knows what the purpose of the sources is.

Kelly Grahn
Illinois Emergency Management Agency
Division of Nuclear Safety