[ RadSafe ] Radioactive Bucking Bars

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 13:52:08 CST 2008

Hi Kelly,
As an aircraft engineer with a keen hobbyist interest in radiation I think I can provide the answer - FOD. This three letter acronym stands for foreign object damage (or debris). This was first used to describe damage caused by items entering aircraft engines, but now applies to anything that may hazard an aircraft. The radioactive sources are so the (often inacessible when completed) aircraft structure can be checked to make sure they were not left behind. A fairly new system by Snap-On uses magetised tools for a similar system.

Regards,
Robert.