[ RadSafe ] Intrinsically safe survey meter

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Tue Dec 23 17:31:45 CST 2008

Q: "Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 07:43:07 -0500
From: "Carl Speer" <cspeer at secradcon.com>
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Intrinsically safe survey meter
To: <radsafe at radlab.nl>

I have a need for an intrinsically safe (explosion proof) alpha survey
meter. Ideally I need a dual alpha/beta survey instrument. I have found
where Ludlum now makes the Model 3-IS with a 44-9 alpha/beta/gamma probe but
with my application I need to distinguish between alpha and beta
contamination.

Does anybody here have any first hand experience with an intrinsically safe
survey meter? Does anyone have suggestions for a vendor or model? Also, any
specific operation considerations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl Speer

Safety and Ecology Group

Oak Ridge, TN"

A: Carl, I have the Tracerco T201 and T202. The T 201 is just a pancake detector. The T202 is Gamma/X-Ray only.

The pancake will detect alpha and beta fine, and I suppose a filter could be used to discriminate, but nothing like a  Ludlum 2224, 2360 or 2929 all of which I also own ( none for sale, mine personally).

Do you have to log the individual alpha and beta counts?  It's pretty easy to use a regular pancake like the Ludlum 44-9, up close to the surface for contamination monitoring, if a hot spot is noticed, pull it back 2 inches. Alphas won't travel that far in air but betas can ( 10 feet per MeV more or less). To read the Gamma/X-Ray component, flip it over, read through the back of the 44-9. It takes longer to say it than it does to do it.

George Dowell
New London Nucleonics Lab
573-221-3418