[ RadSafe ] Cell phone automatic radiation detection

Ernesto Faillace ernesto.faillace at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 09:02:10 CST 2008

The article does go on to explain that the cell phone detectors would be
able to screen out radioactive commercial items such as bananas and screen
out nuclear medicine patients.  From what the article explains at the
end, researchers do appear to be aware of these issues, but color me
skeptical that such discrimination can be built into such a small size
detector at a reasonabl price...

Not to mention the issues with NYC's proposed regulations on registration of
radiation detectors, especially ones that send their signals to some
monitoring station.  Imagine having to register each of these cell phones
when travelling to a major global business hub such as NYC.  Perhaps the
phones could be programmed to "self-register" when in range of a NYC cell
phone site.  I can imagine what privacy advocates might think of this
arrangement!

Ernesto