[ RadSafe ] Cell phone automatic radiation detection

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Tue Feb 5 09:33:10 CST 2008

"color me
> skeptical that such discrimination can be built into such a small size
> detector at a reasonabl price..."

Such systems will rely on central processing of the data gathered by the
field units. Today there are many detectors of small size to choose from,
the Si diodes,  the CsI crystal on a photocell being quite popular and
sensitive, but the so called micro-PMT photomultiplier tube with a NaI(Tl)
crystal is available for stringent spectrum analysis.

The field operative receives readout of gross radiation information, perhaps
crude but effective spectrum data ( in the High/Low Energy format), but the
raw data is going to be processed and decisions will be made at a central
office.

Listmembers are probably aware of the network of fixed radiation detectors
in the areas surrounding the Nevada Test Site, and other such government run
networks. They may not be as a ware of grass roots efforts by amateur
enthusiasts who use the internet to link their BlackCat Systems computer
controller Geiger Counters to a national network.

George Dowell
NLNL
New London Nucleonic Labs