[ RadSafe ] NYC Council bill on detectors: Simple question

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Feb 1 23:05:51 CST 2008

Feb. 1

         Has anyone in NY city government explained the rationale behind
this law?  I think Falkenrath's speech about preventing false alarms, etc.,
is a bunch of self-serving mumbo jumbo.  The purpose of this law is to
increase the size and power of city government.

         According the the Village Voice article reporting on the first
hearing on the law, "And if people use these detectors without a permit,
Vallone asked, do we really have to put them in jail? Afraid so, Falkenrath
answered."  (Vallone is the city councilor who introduced the bill and
Falkenrath is NYPD.)  Nothing there about detectors being used in an
emergency.  Without a permit you're going to jail, emergency or not.

         It is likely that NYC will try to turn this into a money-making
project.

Steven Dapra