[ RadSafe ] NYC permitting of detectors: NYPD proposes some changes.

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 16:36:59 CST 2008

I know that after September 11 they were finding a lot of vehicles shipping nuclear medicine doses, and apparently lots of patients post-scans.

  Personally, I do not mind the government having laws that serve the public.  I doubt this one does, and apparently so do others.

Steven Dapra <sjd at swcp.com> wrote:
  Feb. 10

        I do not know how many false alarms have been answered, but would like to.  I would be salutary as well to know false alarms as a percentage of genuine alarms, and to have them stratified by type --- rad, bio-hazard, heart attack, shooting, etc --- and stratified by borough and by precinct..  That would give us, and the authorities, some idea of the magnitude of the false alarm problem, whether or not there is a significant problem, and its location(s).  As I noted in a posting yesterday, the Dept. of Homeland Security is the agency pushing this sensor/detector licensing scheme.  It did not come from residents of NYC who are worried about false alarms, nor did it come from the NYC authorities.  Knowing these statistics might also provide some insight into solving any possible problems with false alarms.

Steven Dapra