AW: [ RadSafe ] Drug that may prevent radiation injury

John Jacobus crispy_bird at
Sun Feb 10 19:37:43 CST 2008

  Your second comment is appropriate.  I worked at a lab were WR2721 was used for years.  The problem was that it had to be given to the animals before exposures.
  I am not sure about the first comment.  When your mission is to fund research using money that is not yours (the taxpayers') everything seems worthwhile.

Rainer.Facius at wrote:
  1) DARPA is not known for funding bogus science.

2) The crux indeed is whether the antioxidant, radical scavenging activity will help in a post-exposure scenario, i.e., when most or all of the initial radicals are gone long ago.

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine
Linder Hoehe
51147 Koeln
Voice: +49 2203 601 3147 or 3150
FAX: +49 2203 61970

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: radsafe-bounces at [mailto:radsafe-bounces at] Im Auftrag von Michael McCarty
Gesendet: Dienstag, 29. Januar 2008 15:10
An: radsafe at
Betreff: [ RadSafe ] Drug that may prevent radiation injury

For your enlightenment, entertainment, and any discussion that occur:

Feds fund study of drug that may prevent radiation injury Defense department funds study of nanotube-based drug made at Rice

"If history teaches any lesson it is that no nation has an inherent right to greatness.  Greatness has to be earned and continually re-earned."
- Norman Augustine, Chairman of the National Academies Committee

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at