AW: [ RadSafe ] Drug that may prevent radiation injury

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 19:41:42 CST 2008

And who should get this "Trojan Horse?"  Every man, women, and child in the country?  What would trigger the release of this drug?  Free radicals already exists in cells.

Michael McCarty <mccartmj at michigan.gov> wrote:  Dr. Facius

After reading your comments I reread the article. I remembered
something that I couldn't find in the text. It was in the e-mail
directing me to the website:
-----------------------
Nano-sized "Trojan horses" get government funding
Using common food preservatives, Rice Univ. researchers have made a
carbon nanotube-based drug that sits in the body, waiting to scavenge
free radicals generated by acute radiation exposure. The drug, they say,
could be a life saver.
-----------------------

If the drug functions as the lead-in suggests it could be used
prophylactically for those at risk of acute exposure to ionizing
radiation, i.e. be prepositioned for immediate response.

Mike

Michael J. McCarty
Physicist, MDEQ Radiological Laboratory

Waste and Hazardous Materials Division
Radiological Protection Section
Environmental Assessment Unit
815 Terminal Road
Lansing, MI 48906

phone: 517-335-8196
fax: 517-335-9551
e-mail: mccartmj at michigan.gov changing to: mccartym1 at michigan.gov as
soon as DIT wipes my hard drive. Possibly Feb. 14th.

>>> 01/29/08 10:28 AM >>>
1) DARPA is not known for funding bogus science.

2) The crux indeed is whether the antioxidant, radical scavenging
activity will help in a post-exposure scenario, i.e., when most or all
of the initial radicals are gone long ago.

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine
Linder Hoehe