[ RadSafe ] NYC permitting of detectors: NYPD proposes some changes.

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 23:20:18 CST 2008

Dear Philip:

Regarding the NYC detector law, the various groups should be lining-up
apposing this proposed law in its entirety, not trying to be the exception.
There should especially be discussions between groups to get a clear
understanding of the scope of what services might be affected. That is why I
asked Charles Rich and the New York State Council of Professional Geologists
to take note of the ongoing discussion.

So far, the case made to me for such a law is highly questionable.

Twenty years ago, I prepared a paper on water quality for the Tullnerfeld in
Austria.  The overuse of the surficial aquifer from decades of agricultural
water use had resulted in very high total dissolved solids (TDS) in the
aquifer.  Only extremely sodium resistant crops such as sugar beets could
grow (no more corn, wheat, tomatoes, etc.)  These data came from and were
owned by the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.  When I asked if I could
publish my findings, the ministry said that I could as long as no one would
recognize where those data came from. (Lieber Franz: This is why they have a
sugar fabrik in Tulln!)

I would personally find it untenable if environmental quality data became
owned by a governmental entity that would not allow alternate opinions or
measurements, or would arrest me if I attempted to make a measurement.  Is
this where NYC is headed?

If the NYC Council is serious about this, they should be requiring
certification & training through the accepted norms of health physics,
environmental sciences / services, and geologists for personnel that are
already doing this sort of work with instrumentation that might likely fall
under the umbrella of such a law.

I assure you that it is the person taking the measurement, directing how the
measurement should be made, or interpreting a series of measurements that is
crucial, not just the instrument itself.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
Albuquerque & Houston (and sometimes Vienna & Leoben)

P.S. All of my instruments get re-calibrated at the factory (with
certificate) every September.