[ RadSafe ] Myth Busters and Irradiated Cockroaches - Jan 30 Food irradiation inIndia

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 04:36:49 CST 2008

Dear John,

I am aware of the recognition of  radiation processing of food  as safe by the IAEA. In fact some of my colleagues at the Bhabha Atomic Reserach Centre were consultants to the IAEA in the endeavour. The recognition by the Government of India was needed to prepare the legislation to start commercial irradiation of food products. This took some time. I  participated in the drafting of the legislation. You can  read the Atomic Energy (Control of irradiation of food )Rules 1996 at the web site (www.aerb.gov.in) of the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board.