[ RadSafe ] Myth Busters and Irradiated Cockroaches - Jan 30 Food irradiation inIndia

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 18:51:29 CST 2008

Maybe if Minister of Food Safety, or whatever India has that is equivalent to our FDA, came out in favor of food irradiation, that you help.  Make sure there it is a big announcement with lots of news people.

parthasarathy k s <ksparth at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:          Dear John,

I am aware of the recognition of  radiation processing of food  as safe by the IAEA. In fact some of my colleagues at the Bhabha Atomic Reserach Centre were consultants to the IAEA in the endeavour. The recognition by the Government of India was needed to prepare the legislation to start commercial irradiation of food products. This took some time. I  participated in the drafting of the legislation. You can  read the Atomic Energy (Control of irradiation of food )Rules 1996 at the web site (www.aerb.gov.in) of the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board.

Regards
K.S.Parthasarathy