[ RadSafe ] I-131 Patients and Taxi driver

Moshe Levita mlevita at tasmc.health.gov.il
Wed Feb 13 07:48:36 CST 2008

Dear Colleagues,

When I-131 treated patients leaves the hospital they are not allowed to use
public transportation for a few days.

Normally they return home with a member of their family, but if non is available,

we allow them to take a taxi (as long as the traveling time is less than 1 hour).

IAEA BSS 115 Allows comforters of patients to receive a maximum dose of 5 mSv, and the

driver (is he a comforter ?) will not be exposed to that amount.

The question, do we have to inform the taxi driver that his passenger is radioactive ?

Thank you,

Moshe Levita
Chief Physicist
Tel Aviv Medical Center