SV: [ RadSafe ] I-131 Patients and Taxi driver

Olsson Mattias :MSO mso at forsmark.vattenfall.se
Wed Feb 13 11:23:32 CST 2008

Speaking of exposure to I-131...

Maybe this was up before I joined this list, but a few years ago there was an upsettingly inaccurate episode of "CSI Miami" where a woman was poisoned with I-131 spiked orange juice. It was funny to see/hear all the errors but a bit tragic too. It didn't help one bit to educate the masses on radioation and its effects. Another disturbing detail is that when the producers were criticised, they said that this is a drama and the script has to be adapted accordingly. At other times the CSI shows are claimed to be quite well researched. Pah! More here:

http://www.csifiles.com/news/240203_01.shtml

I showed that episode in a class once as I taught nuclear chemistry at Chalmers University in Göteborg. Now at least they know better.

/Mattias Olsson

--
PhD Mattias Olsson, FTKS
Forsmarks Kraftgrupp AB