[ RadSafe ] Wisconsin Legislature passes anti-DU bill

Dave Blaine dfblaine at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 23:54:06 CST 2008

Roger,

You wrote, "The world scientific community denies that DU has caused
any illness, birth defects, etc. The anti-DU crusade that started with
Saddam Hussein and Milosevich's governments wanting to paint US as the
real ogre, not them, has flooded the internet with lies and then
painted DU as the new Agent Orange and is using people like you to
carry their water for them."

We have exchanged email on related subjects recently, and while I
admit I am new to all of it, my freshly-hoisted interest in the
subject compels me to ask: Do you have any evidence of either of those
assertions?

On the first point, I've been through more than 30 papers on the
subject over the past month, and the medical experts uniformly make no
such conclusions and in fact point to the serious need for additional
research given their ambivalent findings thus far. The 1996 review by
Allen Brodsky -- which I was pointed to when I asked a similar
question last month -- ignores genotoxicity.  The genotoxicity and
cellular transport of U(VI) compounds is the basis for the concerns to
which you refer, and in fact all of the concerns about DU which I have
seen in the medical literature over the past decade, along with plenty
of the mass media mentions *and* the UN General Assembly agenda item
which was discussed here recently.  The physical evidence is so poor
that different sources have the fraction of U(VI) in uranium smoke
from more than half to almost none. That is extremely frustrating for
drawing any kind of toxicological inferences.

As for Hussein and Milosevic, what in particular are you referring to?

Dave Blaine

--
This message represents the views of myself alone and not those of any
other other person or organization. This message contains only