[ RadSafe ] Excess relative risk: LNT "Shorthand"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 12:01:42 CST 2008

Extrapolation of data beyond the know data is not that unusual.  It is done in science and engineering is frequently done.  It works well when the behavior of the observations is consistent.  However, biological response to ionizing radiation and other agents frequently at low dose generally does not follow the simple correspondence found at other other dose levels.  It is only in the last ten years we have had the tools to do the necessary research.

  ALARA and the LNT hypothesis are based on what we knew.  They have worked to reduce exposures.  New science by reduce the influence of ALARA and the LNT hypothesis, but I would not expect to see any dramatic changes in regulations.

howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:
  Sandy and all,
1, LNT, when extrapolated down beyond the data, is dumb.
It misleads unnecessarily, now that better animal, bomb and natural experiments are available.
It's convenient "shorthand" is used for intolerable, very expensive, over-regulation.

2, ALARA is a good tool, but like a knife, may be used where not "reasonable",
like anti-nukes force on the nuclear power industry to close safe operations and require
removal of beneficial doses in new plants.

Howard Long