[ RadSafe ] Radon hormesis suggested by a careful case-control study

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 22 18:23:30 CST 2008

At 04:01 PM 2/22/2008, Brennan, Mike  (DOH) wrote:
>I...recognizing that LNT doesn't
>work for radon will open the question of what else it doesn't work for.
>A lot of risk projections that were done with graph paper and a straight
>edge might have to be redone in the field and laboratory.
February 22, 2008

I have looked at the internal emitter studies using laboratory
beagles (both high LET and low LET radiation emitters) and compared
them to available human data. None of these studies follow an LNT
dose-response. In fact, they all show a lifetime effective threshold
below protracted lifetime doses to the target tissue that is less
than about 10 Sv (1000 rem). [See my Chapter 30 in "INTERNAL
RADIATION DOSIMETRY" (O.G. Raabe Ed.), Medical Physics Publishing,
Madison WI 1994).

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140