[ RadSafe ] Fe-55 on LSC

John R Johnson idias at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Feb 28 18:21:07 CST 2008

Emil

Do you mean in (not on) a LSC?

I have done this many years ago (no paper written). You need to be able to
measure the K and L X-rays of Mn-55. The energies are K-sub alpha (5.90 keV,
100%; 5.89, 51%); K-sub beta (6.45keV, 16%). The percenatages are relative
to  the K-sub alpha at 5.10 kev.

These photons do not excape the LS but  produce electrons that are similar
in energy to those from tritium and if you can measure tritium you should be
able to measure Fe-55.

John
John R Johnson, PhD
CEO, IDIAS, Inc.