[ RadSafe ] Helium suppies endangered, threatening science and technology

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 2 11:28:06 CST 2008

At 03:00 AM 1/1/2008, you wrote:
>Helium supplies endangered, threatening science and technology
>News from Washington University in St. Louis - Saint Louis,MO,USA
>By Tony Fitzpatrick The element that lifts things like balloons,
>spirits and voice ranges is being depleted so rapidly in the world's
>largest reserve, ...
January 1, 2008

I think the article vastly underestimates the helium reserves of the
earth. As noted in the article, every alpha particle emitted by the
naturally-occurring alpha emitting radionuclides in the uranium and
thorium decay series found in all the rock and soil of the earth
constantly generates helium. If there was not an immense quantity
continually being generated there would be no helium on the earth
even without human use. It seems quite unreasonable to assume that
the puny human use of helium could significantly deplete the earths
constantly replenished supply.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140