[ RadSafe ] Re: Radiation Hormesis

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 18:11:35 CST 2008

Hi Mike:

My favorite hydrologist has a phrase that he constantly uses to
explain his findings: "It depends…"

I've been involved on the giving and receiving end of EISs as well as
giving written testimony on administrative hearings and preparing
affidavits and giving depositions & oral testimony in court as an
expert witness.  It's a noisy and seemingly chaotic, upside-down
process sometimes, but ultimately, the organizations are really only
required to make statements on the "reasonable" comments.  So "It
depends…" on the nature of the comment, if it is "on target" or simply
inflammatory.

In administrative hearings, "it depends…" on the quality of training
and balance that the Administrative Officer brings to the hearings as
well as the general balance of the administrative law and regulations.
 I find it a pleasure to prepare affidavits on geological issues when
I know that the administrative officer has the training to fully
understand what I'm saying.  I also provide complete text of all the
references that I use so that they can see that I'm not "Cherry
Picking" or pulling references out of context.

In court, the most challenging issue is to cogently communicate to the
jury and the judge (always with no training) the important points
without confusing them too much.  But it's really hard to "dumb things
down" and keep to the essence of the argument when the individuals
deciding the issue have no training in your area of expertise.

So, "It depends…"

In New Mexico, the opposition was unsuccessful in stopping a license
for uranium mining despite repeated litigation in Administrative
Courts, so they took their money to the State Legislature and changed
the basis in law for groundwater standards.  I believe that they will
also ultimately fail here as well because of the concept of Aquifer
Exemption (basically, uranium deposits do not have to follow state law
or regulations).

So, "It depends..."

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist