[ RadSafe ] NYC Proposal to Permit Radiation Detectors

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Mon Jan 7 20:04:34 CST 2008

Jan. 7

         Section 10-805 b. cannot be construed as an attempt to control the
release of outside (non-health or fire department) data from air monitoring
equipment.  It is a requirement that detections of certain agents at or
above a prescribed level be reported, whether or not the owner of the
detector, or the person possessing the detector, holds a permit for the
detector.  To put it differently, all detections at or above a prescribed
level must be reported whether or not a permit has been issued for the
detector.  This section could be used to discover un-permitted detectors,
*assuming* that the owner or possessor of the detector complies with the
section by reporting prescribed detections of any agents.  If the owner or
possessor of an un-permitted detector were to report prescribed detections,
in effect he would be turning himself in as having an un-permitted
detector.  Is anyone going to be dumb enough to turn himself in?  Well . .
. .

Steven Dapra

At 10:11 AM 1/7/08 -0800, Emer, Dudley wrote:
>Clayton,

[edit]