AW: [ RadSafe ] RE: Proposed Rebuttal to the Laura Weldon Articleinbold Text

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Jan 24 18:03:56 CST 2008

Dear Ken,

Believe me, I have a lot of humor! But I also have a lot of a sense for very
unappropriate nationalistic thinking - whether it is the USA, France,
Poland, and last, but really not least the Austrian attitude against our
immigrants. I can only repeat that no independent state is obliged to report
either to the USA, to Russia, to Germany, France, not to talk about Austria,
unless there are bilateral or multilateral agreements - they exist within
the framework of EU legislation and - just to name one - between Austria and
the Czech Republic. In the case of what I commented on there are clearly no
mutual agreements. Anything regarding nuclear activities and radioactivity
has to be treated according to international law and if it concerns treaties
on an international level the IAEA is the appropriate partner - and not a
single state, whether it is Austria or the USA. The reluctance of the IAEA
to impose sanctions on Iran is a very good sign, that Iran has until now
fulfilled all conditions of the IAEA - no other country is therefore
entitled to demand whatsoever.

So much for fuel to the "more irascible American members of the list". This
is nothing new for me. Obviously the 99.99 % rest of RADSAFE does not take
offence. On the other hand: I do not do it for purpose, though I assume some
people will react like this - do we have to shut up, because some single
persons will react negatively? In German we have the expression "Silent
Majority", I am not part of it.

Now, let's discuss the really important topics! So you will come to Austria
to watch the European Soccer Championship? Have you been able to purchase
tickets? I am neither a soccer enthusiast nor a skiing one, but as far as I
was told the tickets are sold out already since long time. If you have been
able to secure tickets - where will the games be played? If it is in Vienna
I hope you have no tickets for games with the Austrian team! I am as I
mentiond not nationalistic, but realistic and the Austrian team is at the
moment extremely weak. On the other hand it is statistically proved that our
team can beat even the strongest teams - and lose agains the weakest ones...

Please give me information about when you will be in Vienna. I will be in
Poland until early June, but soon after go to Bergen, Norway to a
conference. I hope that your stay will fit into my travel schedules, but
then I would not only give you good advices, but invite you to join me for
one, two, three beers, dinner and other entertainment. My e-mail address
will also work in Poland. I had several guests from the RADSAFE community in
Vienna, they all were very nice and it seems that they enjoyed their stay
here!

Best regards, keep your humor!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD