AW: [ RadSafe ] RE: Proposed Rebuttal to the Laura Weldon Articleinbold Text

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 23:03:06 CST 2008

Dear Steven:

The IAEA gives a short-course to all new employees on the non proliferation
treaty (NPT). They lock you in a room, tie you down for a week and the NPT
is drilled into your head!  Maybe you could find some time to read about the
treaty first.

http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Documents/Infcircs/Others/infcirc140.pdf

But yes, non-weapon signatories of the NPT give up part of their national
authority to the IAEA to allow them access to any and all nuclear facilities
and materials with the ultimate understanding that the weapons states
negotiate and someday draw down their stockpiles. To the best of my
knowledge, this has been taking place: Inspections are routinely carried-out
all over the world, nuclear technology and materials are transferred in
accordance with the treaty, missile silos have been decommissioned, delivery
systems chopped-up, and decommissioned nuclear materials used in weapons
manufacture have been down blended and burned in reactors.

It isn't perfect. I keep my copy of the treaty next to my bible because if
the treaty fails, then I'll need it! :-)

Originally there were 4 weapons states (USA, France, Russia, UK); China
became the 5th.  The rest gave up their right to build nuclear weapons (or
transfer technology to do so) upon entry into the treaty with the
understanding that they could have "peaceful uses" of nuclear energy or
technology.  The IAEA is the organization to provide assurance that the
purposes were / are peaceful.

I'll repeat: transfer of technology for potential weapons production is
specifically prohibited in the NPT.  If technology is transferred, it has to
be in accordance with the NPT which means that the IAEA is involved as
guarantor.

India, Israel, Pakistan and North Korea are not currently signatories.
North Korea was, broke the treaty, then withdrew.  That's why Australia has
heartburn over selling uranium to India but not China.  China is a
signatory, and India is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Non-Proliferation_Treaty

So your premise is false: The IAEA has every right to inspect nuclear
facilities in any "non-weapons" signatory country for as long as they are
signatories. And there are hundreds of folks at the inspectorate that do
just that every day for a living!

But the issue between Abu Dhabi and the USA is on a broken promise to
deliver information between two countries, and has nothing (as far as I
know) to do with the IAEA.  This has been chugging along for years.

Dan ii

Dan W. McCarn, Geologist; 3118 Pebble Lake Drive; Sugar Land, TX 77479; USA
Cell: +1-505-710-3600; Home: +1-281-903-7667; Fax: +1-713-241-1012; Office:
+1-713-241-5726; Austria:  +43-676-725-6622
mccarn at unileoben.ac.at           HotGreenChile at gmail.com