AW: [ RadSafe ] New Your City Council meets on detectors

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Jan 29 16:30:41 CST 2008

Mike,

Thank you for this contribution. When the topic first came up on RADSAFE I
intended to comment, but then I thought I do not want to cause Syd Levine
unnecessary work to copy his usual comment that I am anti-US and send it
again....... But now I cannot resist any more.

I do not know who Peter Vallone is and for me it is not really clear,
whether the last sentence of the article "After all, if you let research
scientists and community groups do their jobs, the terrorists will have
already won." is an original citation of Peter Vallone or it is a cynical
comment by the journalist who wrote the article.

The problem I face and which I originally intended to post on RADSAFE is the
following:

On my travel I usually take a small and simple doserate meter with me.
Especially on my last trip to the Southwest where I was going to visit the
Trinity Site and former as well as operating uranium mines and uranium ore
processing plants. And sure it is funny to see the doserate rising when the
plane is climbing. I always use the (of course not accurate) doserates to
demonstrate, that people use airplanes extensively, but are afraid of the
lowest pSv from a nuclear power plant. On most of my visits to the USA I
head directly to the Southwest via Atlanta, which is the easiest connection
from Austria. But what to do in case I would travel via New York and such a
legislation would be in force? Would I be searched for such instruments and
if my doserate meter would be found I would go to jail or face some other
heavy punishment? Anybody able to explain what I would have to do if this
legislation was in force?

I have only one final word for comment: "Paranoia". Syd, now you can copy
your standard message to RADSAFE about me.

Best regards to all, especially those who had been able to keep a sense of
humor in these times so difficult for anything radioactive!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.
Habicherg. 31/7