[ RadSafe ] New Your City Council meets on detectors

Tue Jan 29 17:41:54 CST 2008

Hi, Franz.

Sadly, I don't think that "paranoia" actually applies in this case, as it may well be that they are out to get you.  On the bright side, I think they are out to get pretty much everyone, so while you may be paranoid you are not alone.

As I read the proposed law, you probably would be OK with your dose rate meter, provided you didn't use it with the City of New York, probably including the airspace above.  You would definitely be OK if you claimed you were transporting the instrument to sell it, as the law exempts instruments possessed for sale, but not those possessed by other government agencies.

On the other hand, I don't know that I would count on a law enforcement officer being that deeply interested in parsing out the fine points of this particular law (hopefully they will also not be interested in enforcing it at all).  I think if I was traveling with an instrument and I was questioned about it I say it was a old style Ipod.

-----Original Message-----
From: Franz Schönhofer [mailto:franz.schoenhofer at chello.at]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:31 PM
To: Brennan, Mike (DOH); radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: AW: [ RadSafe ] New Your City Council meets on detectors

Mike,

Thank you for this contribution. When the topic first came up on RADSAFE I intended to comment, but then I thought I do not want to cause Syd Levine unnecessary work to copy his usual comment that I am anti-US and send it again....... But now I cannot resist any more.

I do not know who Peter Vallone is and for me it is not really clear, whether the last sentence of the article "After all, if you let research scientists and community groups do their jobs, the terrorists will have already won." is an original citation of Peter Vallone or it is a cynical comment by the journalist who wrote the article.

The problem I face and which I originally intended to post on RADSAFE is the
following:

On my travel I usually take a small and simple doserate meter with me.
Especially on my last trip to the Southwest where I was going to visit the Trinity Site and former as well as operating uranium mines and uranium ore processing plants. And sure it is funny to see the doserate rising when the plane is climbing. I always use the (of course not accurate) doserates to demonstrate, that people use airplanes extensively, but are afraid of the lowest pSv from a nuclear power plant. On most of my visits to the USA I head directly to the Southwest via Atlanta, which is the easiest connection from Austria. But what to do in case I would travel via New York and such a legislation would be in force? Would I be searched for such instruments and if my doserate meter would be found I would go to jail or face some other heavy punishment? Anybody able to explain what I would have to do if this legislation was in force?

I have only one final word for comment: "Paranoia". Syd, now you can copy your standard message to RADSAFE about me.

Best regards to all, especially those who had been able to keep a sense of humor in these times so difficult for anything radioactive!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.
Habicherg. 31/7