[ RadSafe ] NYC Council bill on detectors: Simple question

grahnk at comcast.net grahnk at comcast.net
Thu Jan 31 12:18:40 CST 2008

So they control the quality of the information and know what's (models, units) out there, and who's qualified to read the instruments, and to avoid using resources for false alarms.

We get calls all the time for people with their own instruments that think their house is radioactive because they're measuring background or their building materials.  I've also had people (firefighters) misread their new Ludlum 2241 digital units, only look at the number and not the units and request our emergency reponse people to provide assistance.  I responded to a scrap yard last year that was convinced they found a truck with a 20 R/hr source in it with their new instrument.  It was a source, but only 200 microR/hr.  They mis-read the scale and the units on the display.

So I understand the motivation for the proposed NYC rules, but I don't agree with it.  If they were going to implement any version of this,  it should be that they only respond to alarms from qualified, registered sources.  And if they let an HP answer the phone, instead of a police officer, they would know to ask questions (about make, model, last calibration, function check, scale settings, units etc.) before sending in the cavalry.

Kelly Grahn
Illinois Emergency Management Agency, Divison of Nuclear Safety

From: Bjorn Cedervall <bcradsafers at hotmail.com>