[ RadSafe ] NYC Council bill on detectors: Simple question

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Jan 31 13:33:47 CST 2008

(I am only going to comment on radiation meters)

Sadly, you point out the problem of training of users and the general
paranoia attached to "radiation".....

I can see some form of legislation that would register meters distributed to
emergency services, law enforcement, etc., who would be called on to assess
specific threats, and require that they are maintained/ calibrated and
operated by competent individuals. And I can also see the need for some
controls on "fixed" installations such as portal monitors.

As most of you know, regulations already require licensees to calibrate all
their radiation monitors/meters (and ensure adequate training of the users),
but AFAIK there has never been a requirement to register individual meters
(although probably most licensees already have pretty comprehensive listings
of these meters in order to keep control of their status).

As for individuals who purchase meters for their own use, this again boils
down to training (or a basic comprehension of their use). Perhaps the manual
for any of these "amateur" meters should include a short section on natural
radiation and likely readings to be seen......
Then queries to experts could be diverted with a simple "read the manual"

Regards
Doug
Doug Aitken     Cell phone: 713-562-8585
QHSE Advisor
D&M Operations Support
Schlumberger Technology Corporation
300 Schlumberger Drive
Sugar Land TX 77030

Home office: 713-797-0919  Home Fax: 713-797-1757