[ RadSafe ] NYC Council bill on detectors: Simple question

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Thu Jan 31 19:42:06 CST 2008

Jan. 31

         There is no point to registering Geiger counters, or to
registering any of the detectors this law would cover.  No rational point,
that is.  This law is not about false positives, or catching terrorists,
blah, blah, blah.   It is about control.  To reiterate my posting of Jan.
29:  <According to the V[illage] V[oice] article, "And if people use these
detectors without a permit, Vallone asked, do we really have to put them in
jail? Afraid so, Falkenrath answered.">  (Vallone is the city councilor who
introduced the bill and Falkenrath is NYPD.)

         If this bill is passed a huge uproar will ensue.  Falkenrath and
NYPD will be bellowing out threats all over the place and there will be a
few show prosecutions to show New Yorkers who is boss.  After a few months
everything will die down.  Then, the bill will be applied hit or miss and
will probably be used to persecute eccentrics, or unpopular residents of
NY; and will be resurrected occasionally to remind New Yorkers who is
boss.  Is will also serve as a useful precedent for control freaks in other
cities.  The bill's shortcomings and the vast bureaucracy and the
administrative nightmare will be ignored, unless current and new victims
become too restive.  Then the control freaks will start shouting about how
opponents are supporters of terrorism, much like John Ashcroft said
(publicly) that anyone who opposed the Bush Administration's incipient
police state was also a supporter of terrorism.

         Anyone want to put money on this?  That is a rhetorical
question.  I am *not* suggesting that we start gambling on RADSAFE/.

Steven Dapra