[ RadSafe ] "Radioactive cocktail: Blending waste won't lessen the danger"

Cindy Bloom radbloom at comcast.net
Mon Jul 7 12:47:37 CDT 2008

Chemical and radiological toxicity are both related to dose which is
related to concentration.  If the concentration of a "hazard" is very low
(and I mean low relative to that level which has been shown to cause harm),
it is likely that the risk to a cell, organ, individual or society is very
low.  Most of us would agree that the uranium found in our garden soils
causes little or no harm (and some believe that it might even be beneficial).

Regarding U-238, it's not at all clear what is meant by the phrase "about one
million times worse for U238".  What else was being tested?  What is meant
by worse?  What effect do you mean?  What mode of exposure do you mean -
external exposure, ingestion, inhalation, injection, skin absorption?  What
is U-238 1,000,000 worse than - other uranium
isotopes?  Carbon?  Nickle?  Arsenic?  Lead?  Do you mean that the dosage
to cause damage from the chemical is 1,000,000 times the dosage to cause
damage from the radiation?

I tend to believe that damage depends on uranium's isotopic mix (DU while
mostly U-238 on mass or atomic scale includes other U isotopes) and
chemical form and intake mode as well as dosage and dose, and that the
numbers specified in regulations and guidance are provided as a way to
control risks, and that there are levels of risk that are just too low to
worry about, because worry is associated with its own risk and resources
used to control reduce small risks take away from resources available to
reduce large risks.

Cindy