[ RadSafe ] Nuclear mortality

James Talty jim.talty at usu.edu
Tue Jul 8 11:03:31 CDT 2008

The physician (he is an (anesthesiologist out of LDS hospital) mentioned in the article has spoken out strongly for the past three or so years about the evils of coal fired power plants. If he had his way we would shut down all coal fired power plants because of the respiratory damage they incur. He and his group seem to have taken up another evil- radiation. In the last sentence he asks who in your family are you willing to sacrifice for clean nuclear power? If we take the road he proposes somewhere around 70% (50% coal and 20% nuclear) of the power in the US would be removed from the grid. I would like to ask him which states would he chose to go send back to the dark ages. As a physician one would expect him to appreciate the benefits provided by nuclear energy and the countless lives it has saved. I used this article yesterday in a presentation and contrasted it to an article in Science (17 Oct 2003, Vol 302) "A healthful Dab of Radiation". I told the students they must be very careful when they evaluate such articles as many have a hidden agenda.

Jim Talty
RSO
Utah State University