AW: [ RadSafe ] Airport X-ray body scanners

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Thu Jul 10 08:57:49 CDT 2008

Bjorn,

in a radsafe thread

"RE: [ RadSafe ] airport scanners at Heathrow" , sent Do 11.05.2006 19:59,

dealing with "new airport body scanners", Kim McMAHAN, ORNL External Dosimetry, (mcmahankl at ornl.gov), quoted a manufacturer with a dose to an individual of 30 nSv per scan which might be compared to the variability of the natural background dose rate between 70 and 100 nSv/h in our area.

Notwithstanding your plea, I cannot refrain from noting that your argument depends on the premise that there is a risk associated with such an exposure. Otherwise it would be pointless. If you know reasons to assume this, please share them.

Your condition "This risk must reasonably be so low that it would be far below any statistical detection level" is surely met in any case.

Kind regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine