[ RadSafe ] EMPs credibility

Richard D. Urban Jr. radmax at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 31 14:52:27 CDT 2008

Brian, no one thought 19 twits could enter the US, take flight training for months, hijack 4 airliners with only box cutters and then kill over 3000 people and reak havok on the scale of 9-11 before that happened either!   I'ld rather they try to forcast the incredible than miss the possible.   I personally have thought of several ways a dedicated small group (20) could do a repeat without ANY special tech and without getting caught, killing thousands and costing trillions... and it scares the stuffing out of me to think THEY might figure these things out.   One just has to look at the recent salmonella scare.

Mike, Doug, George...

Not my field of expertise, but... from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

According to an internet primer published by the Federation of American Scientists[2]

A high-altitude nuclear detonation produces an immediate flux of gamma rays from the nuclear reactions within the device. These photons in turn produce high energy free electrons by Compton scattering at altitudes between (roughly) 20 and 40 km. These electrons are then trapped in the Earth's magnetic field, giving rise to an oscillating electric current. This current is asymmetric in general and gives rise to a rapidly rising radiated electromagnetic field called an electromagnetic pulse (EMP). Because the electrons are trapped essentially simultaneously, a very large electromagnetic source radiates coherently.
The pulse can easily span continent-sized areas, and this radiation can affect systems on land, sea, and air. The first recorded EMP incident accompanied a high-altitude nuclear test over the South Pacific and resulted in power system failures as far away as Hawaii. A large device detonated at 400–500 km (250 to 312 miles) over Kansas would affect all of the continental U.S. The signal from such an event extends to the visual horizon as seen from the burst point.

According to the accompaning wiki graphs: