[ RadSafe ] Radon Travel in Granite

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 19:08:22 CDT 2008

Dan W. McCarn, Geologist; 3118 Pebble Lake Drive; Sugar Land, TX 77479; USA
HotGreenChile at gmail.com   UConcentrate at gmail.com

Dear Group, Kai & Al:

Back to basics, and a little simplified, but what the heck!

Primary mineralized uranium is usually the reduced species uraninite, UO2,
also known as pitchblende.  When uraninite comes in contact with oxidizing
groundwater, the redox state changes rapidly from +4 to +6.  Normally,
oxidized uranyl species UO2 +2 reacts with groundwater to form the highly
soluble solid species UO2(OH)2 H2O (Schoepite) and then to form carbonate
anionic aqueous species e.g. UO2(CO3)2 -2 or UO2(CO3)3 -4 because of the
high abundance of bicarbonate (HCO3-) in oxidizing natural groundwater
conditions.  This includes the range of pH from about 6.2 – >10.  Below a pH
of 6.2 the neutral aqueous species, UO2(CO3)2 0 forms.  So, at a pH of 7,
the dominate form of aqueous uranyl species is UO2(CO3)2 -2.  When solution
mining, this species is concentrated in anion exchange resins (bumps Cl -1
off) and the pH is maintained close to 7 to optimize the bicarbonate
complexation of uranyl.

How much concentration? Up to several hundred mg/L U concentration depending
on the bicarbonate ion concentration.  Sometimes NaHCO3 is added to enhance
the groundwater's ability to complex uranium.  Because the kinetics are
quite good, the reaction goes pretty fast.

Note: rain water, equilibrated to atmospheric CO2 and O2 is easily able to
rapidly mobilize uraninite (UO2) forming quite a nice, mildly acid leaching
solution of pH = about 5.6.  As a geologist, this is quite exciting, and I
can only add, "Yippee".

Dan ii