[ RadSafe ] Uranium in granite

al gerhart webmaster at solidsurfacealliance.org
Thu Jul 31 19:07:01 CDT 2008

Hi Kai,

  I've heard that Uranium can leach out with water or slightly acidic liquids,  Professor Nussebaum brought it to our attention.  Good to hear another voice on the issue.  We will look into it.  I understand that a lead test swab will react to the Uranium as if it is lead, but are there Uranium swabs that don't react to lead content?

  Or do we have to use acid and precipitate it out?   Then have it measured.  I talked to a local chemist we have done work for and he recommended lab if need be.

  This is indeed getting very political and commercial on some levels, no one is spending this much time and effort without something rewarding their risk.  Let's face it, nothing gets done without an interested party on some level.  But, if the concerns are valid, then it matters little the motivation, just be glad someone stepped up and took a shot at it.

  As to the other stakeholders, they were shown reports just like this long ago along with a request that it be looked into.  Once was a huge stone company, the other time it was a PhD level Professor.  Nothing got done.  Too much money at stake.

  Regulation in Canada, yes, we would love to have the protection you guys were smart enough to pass.  As it is, not many countries will allow this stuff to be imported, so America becomes the dumping ground for too hot material.

  What a great idea on using the low level granite to provide a baseline!  Why didn't I think of that?  We will do just that.

  I will take a look at your calculator for the risk assessment.  I need to take the time to learn more about the Geometry aspect of radiation measurements, soaking up a little on Geiger Counter Enthusiasts and the other Rad groups of George Dowel.

  The high reading is total radiation, 12.5 mR (A,B,G) or so before we chopped up the slab into samples for the five scientists that are studying it.  I used a piece of  paper for an Alpha shield, got 10.5 mR if I remember right.  I didn't have any aluminum, but I used 1/8" of plastic for a Beta shield and got around 3.5 mR/hr.

  All measurements were taken with a LENi Geiger counter (George Dowel sells them) with a pancake probe, with about 8 or 9 mm standoff.   I've got the measurements in cpm too, or multiply  the results by 600 to get a close idea.

  Thanks for the info, it has been invaluable.

  Thanks,
  AL