[ RadSafe ] More questions about 10CFR 20

WILLIAM LIPTON wlipton at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 3 13:41:37 CDT 2008

NOTE:  The best source of answers regarding interpreting 10 CFR 20, is found in:  "Consolidated Guidance: 10 CFR Part 20 - Standards for Protection Against Radiation (NUREG-1736)".  This is available from the NRC web site:  www.nrc.gov .    From the home page, click on the "Electronic Reading Room" tab, and then on "Collections of Documents By Type."  From there, go to the NUREG publications.
As I mentioned in my response to your previous post, the effective limits for nuclear power plants are significantly lower than those of 10 CFR 20.1302.  There are tiers of limits.  Some apply to the maximum dose at the site boundary.  Others apply to the maximum exposure to a real person.
Nuclear power plant licensing requires a detailed, site specific assessment of the offsite doses due to reactor operation.  This assessment is summarized in the plant's "Final Safety Analysis Report," and results in an "Offsite Dose Calculation Manual" (ODCM), which has site specific equations for determining offsite doses, based on effluent monitor readings, and for determining the alarm setpoints for these monitors.  In general, PWRs use real time meteorological data, since they can control when gaseous effluents are released.  The gaseous effluent volumes for BWRs, however, do not permit their storage, requiring continuous releases.  Thus, BWRs generally apply a conservative annual average of meteorological parameter values.  A nuclear power plant is required to perform an annual "land use census," to determine the critical pathways for populations exposure to gaseous and liquid effluents, and to revise the ODCM if there is a significant change
 to a critical pathway.
I recommend looking at the following NRC Regulatory Guides:  1.21, 1.23, 1.109, 1.111., 1.112, 1.113.  These are also available from the NRC web site:  www. nrc.gov.  From the home page, click on the "Electronic Reading Room" tab, and then on "Collections of Documents By Type."  From there, go to the Regulatory Guides.
Bill Lipton
It's not about dose, it's about trust.