[ RadSafe ] Tanya Boozer - Long Time Hanger On of Anti-DU Yahoo Groups Fi...

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Fri Jun 6 20:36:58 CDT 2008

Color me naive, but from WWII's "Shell Shock" to Vietnam's "Agent Orange
Syndrome" to "Gulf War Syndrome," I find the common thread to be war.  It  seems
to me placing young people into situations of extraordinary stress and  fear;
into situations where (however we euphemize) they are called upon to  murder
total strangers; into situations where they make life and death moral
decisions that most of us never face in a lifetime, in a split second; and  then live
the rest of their lives with the doubt and guilt that those  decisions must
engender, I don't find any mystery in the debilitating illnesses  they most
assuredly suffer.

This would be why there is "a confusing constellation of symptoms."
Everyone and every body will respond to this intense horror in a different way,
including in ways that affect mental stability and the immune system.   I would
also speculate that a constant, long-term flush of stress hormones  might very
well substantially increase the average DNA damage per cell that we  routinely
experience from a variety of natural sources and functions.

In any case, the idea that this "syndrome" is related to DU is rather
pathetically misguided, and does a grave disservice to the men and women who  have
served and are now suffering.

Barbara L. Hamrick

In a message dated 6/6/2008 1:51:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,