[ RadSafe ] Uranium and genotoxicity

James Salsman BenjB4 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 01:25:22 CDT 2008

Dan,

Thank you for your message.

What is your opinion on whether (U-238)O2-Y is more dangerous than
(U-238)O3-D, as the ICRP and NRC assert, or does the bioavailability
of the uranyl ion make equivalent activities of (U-238)O3 more of an
ingestion and inhalation hazard?

> James is persistent; I just wish that he would listen.
> My presentation of moles per liter of PHREEQC
> equilibrium concentrations has been previously presented.

I wish you would listen, too.  When will you use the 25,000 km^2 area
in which depleted uranium munitions were used instead of "a third of
Iraq," which is several times larger?

Furthermore, have you taken into account that potable water in that
region is taken from rainwater runoff?

>... Also consider that groundwater may also have
> a number of other trace metals and materials,
> e.g. major anions & cations (Na, Ca, Cl, SO4,
> HCO3, CO3) trace metals (selenium, molybdenum,
> etc. that may concentrate in the soil zone over time.
> It all depends on the "Leaching Coefficient", how
> quickly or slowly specific analytes move through
> the soil column.

Does that imply that mathematical models require a firm foundation in
empirical observation from weathering of the oxides to human
bioavalability on the specific terain in question?

> The fact is that the uranium does not concentrate
> significantly in desert soils with the possible
> exception of caliche- or gypcretes-forming soils....

I will have to look those up.

In the mean time, would you please have a look at this article and
please tell me your opinion of it?
  http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2137136

James Salsman