[ RadSafe ] Uranium and genotoxicity

James Salsman BenjB4 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 13:19:52 CDT 2008

Dan,

Your question in response to mine is excellent:

>> What is your opinion on whether (U-238)O2-Y is more
>> dangerous than (U-238)O3-D, as the ICRP and NRC assert,
>> or does the bioavailability of the uranyl ion make equivalent
>> activities of (U-238)O3 more of an ingestion and inhalation hazard?
>
> I am neither a physician, biochemist or epidemiologist.
> Why should my lay opinion count for anything regarding
> that?  Why should yours?

The ICRP and the NRC are telling us that UO2 inhaled is ten times
worse than UO3 inhaled.  Alexandria C. Miller at the US Armed Forces
Radiobiology Institute is telling us that the chemical toxicity in
vitro is a million times worse than its radiological hazard.  Do we as
citizens have a responsibility to consult with epidemiologists,
physicians, and biochemist when faced with such a contradiction?  I
have, by reading their peer-reviewed publications, emailing them,
speaking with them on the telephone, and bringing their testimony to
the attention of the NRC. They have said that Miller is correct and
the ICRP is incorrect.  Do we as citizens have a responsibility to do
everything in our power to resolve such a contradiction?  I am, and
will.  Will you?

You ignored my question about whether you are assuming that southern
Iraqis 1991-2002 drank water from streams or the wells you have used
for your calculations.  Didn't you say that you know they were
impoverished?

As always, your discussion of hydrology is invaluable, appreciated,
and downright amazing.

>> In the mean time, would you please have a look at this
>> article and please tell me your opinion of it?
>>  http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2137136
>
> My opinion is, had they been a little more honest, they should
> have described the overall distribution of uranium, not just the
> "contaminated" water....

> "The U levels found in contaminated water sources ranged from
> 33.3 to 1,131 μg/L, with the highest concentration being 38 times
> the safe drinking water level (U.S. EPA 2004)."
> UNQUOTE
>
> I'm sure that in the EPA report, there were a half dozen paragraphs
> describing the spatial distribution, cumulative distribution, etc. and
> mentioning the large number of samples below the MDL.  The fact
> that they chose the only one to "validate" their case reminds me
> strongly of "Cherry Picking".  Just like the recently falsified report
> from the medical university in Vienna about cell phones, are they
> presenting a "politically correct" version of their research?

I am not a uranium hydrologist, so what is your opinion on that question?

> James, please note that they only reported "contaminated" sources
> and not "all" sources....

Does that have any bearing on their suggestion that EPA standards for
uranium in drinking water are too lax?

> Just an observation: "U's effect on the reproductive system was
> examined in early studies with rats fed high doses of 2% uranyl
> nitrate (UN). U exposure caused significant weight loss in dams,
> fewer litters, and fewer pups per litter (Maynard and Hodge 1949).
> When female rats were returned to chow diet without UN, they
> regained the lost body weight, but a reduction in the number of
> litters and pups per litter persisted, suggesting that the ovaries
> had been permanently damaged (Maynard and Hodge 1949)."

1949, excellent!  I was sure that was not published before 1953.
Another source that all those people 1972-2004 neglecting the
genotoxicity and teratology missed.

>... I'm surprised that the above reference to a 2% UN solution
> (Maynard and Hodge 1949) did not do as much damage as a
> 0.5% arsenic solution for horses.  As I recall, arsenic also is
> teratogenic, carcinogenic, mutagenic and a heavy metal poison
> and has an interesting distribution because of the worldwide
> metalogenic association to gold.  Gold mining may actually
> be more hazardous than uranium mining because of the
> increased mobilization of arsenic from tailings. You should
> Google "Nevada gold arsenic"

I'm more interested in keeping teratogens out of soldiers' lungs
than doing homework for people living next to a gold mine.

> What is your point, James?

I'm hoping you'll tell us how to figure out drinking water exposure.

James Salsman