[ RadSafe ] Yucca Mountain

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 22:25:01 CDT 2008

Dan W. McCarn, Geologist; 3118 Pebble Lake Drive; Sugar Land, TX 77479; USA
HotGreenChile at gmail.com    mccarn at unileoben.ac.at    UConcentrate at gmail.com

Dear Jerry:

I've been on both sides.  In my opinion, the mining companies seem to be the
ones seeking truth and balanced judgment since they have to live with both
the financial and regulatory consequences until project completion.  The
politically-driven YM project reflects Congress's search for political coin
and is a quintessential boondoggle; But it is the Achilles Heel of the
nuclear industry and has to see completion. Personally, I'd rather see
reprocessing, but I'm uncertain of the cost compared to a once-through fuel
cycle.

I don't know if you've been following the politics of licensing, but the NRC
has been challenged twice now in the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.  The
earlier challenge was from the State of Utah regarding interim storage of
nuclear waste, and the current challenge is surrounding the right of a
private company to license uranium mining operations on private land in New
Mexico.  I have 9 of the court briefs in the May 2008 New Mexico case if
anyone is interested, but they are too big to attach here.  Please write me
offline.  I've provided affidavits in two of the NRC administrative hearings
for the uranium mining issue.  These include Amicus Briefs,
Intervener-Respondent Briefs, etc.

No. 02-4149, AUG 4 2004 Decision
THE SKULL VALLEY BAND OF GOSHUTE INDIANS and PRIVATE FUEL STORAGE, L.L.C.,
Plaintiffs-Counterdefendants-Appellees, v. (Virtually everyone in the State
of Utah)

And the current case:

No. 07-9505 FOR THE TENTH CIRCUIT:
EASTERN NAVAJO DINÉ AGAINST URANIUM MINING, SOUTHWEST RESEARCH AND
INFORMATION CENTER, MARILYN MORRIS AND GRACE SAM, Petitioners, v. UNITED
STATES NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSION AND THE UNITED STATES, Respondents.
PETITION FOR REVIEW OF A DECISION OF THE UNITED STATES NUCLEAR REGULATORY
COMMISSION AND THE UNITED STATES

Personally, I think it is essential for the average professional to keep up
with these issues

I presented my San Luis Valley (SLV) Analog in the hope that some normalcy
could be brought to a comparison of effects.  Perhaps it's time to "refresh"
the concepts.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1396_web.pdf
McCarn, Dan W. (2004): Scoping Calculations: Natural and anthropogenic
multi-pathway risks associated with naturally occurring uranium
mineralization in aquifers; IAEA-TECDOC-1396, pp. 289-315.

Dan ii