[ RadSafe ] US Patent # 2733126 Uranium Liberation

roger helbig rhelbig at california.com
Mon Jun 16 21:48:49 CDT 2008

I am wondering if any of you might have ready access to
this patent, which I think will either be the first patent
on the conversion of DUF6 to DU metal or very close to
being the first and perhaps reference yet an earlier one.

Thanks.

Roger Helbig

Here is how I got to this stage

I just sent the following to the Dept of Energy Energy
Citations Database - I am wondering if any of you might
have ready access to this patent.  I discovered it this
evening backtracking from the one in 1989.  Strangely, it
all started when I put in Dry Ice and Gopher into Google
and that led me to a patent for a gopher control device and
led me to thinking what if I could find the patent for
creating Depleted Uranium metal from DUF4 - I had just
re-read some of Moret's 2003 letter to Congressman Jim
McDermott that sent him the "Memo to Groves" with her
stating that a lawyer had asked that she “Provide you with
scientific information on the critical and overlooked
issues of particle size, penetration of gas masks, and
mobility of depleted uranium formed under battlefield
conditions.  It is also powerful scientific information to
counter false statements recently made by the White House
and the DOD”.  She does have a way with words, even if the
facts are totally false.

I am looking for the original patent for the conversion of
DUF4 to Depleted Uranium Metal - I am working on ways to
discredit a widely circulated false memo to General Groves,
which has even been introduced in Congress.  The memo
clearly has nothing to do with depleted uranium, but the
best way to show that it does not is to show that there
really were no significant quantities of DU metal in 1943.
 I came to you hunting the below patent that apparently is
not directly available on line.  I do not know if it is the
right one, but it is back in 1956 and about the right time
frame.  Can you help me?  I am extremely active in
combatting the anti-depleted uranium crusaders on the
internet and in various publications.  I found this one
from Patent 4874599 issued to Rockwell in 1989 and this was
a referenced patent in that application.

URANIUM LIBERATION
Creator/Author Spiegler, L.
Publication Date 1956 Jan 31
OSTI Identifier OSTI ID: 4367611
Report Number(s) US 2733126
Resource Type Patent
Resource Relation Other Information: Orig. Receipt Date:
31-DEC-56
Research Org Originating Research Org. not identified
Subject PATENTS; ALKALINE EARTH METALS; CALCIUM; CHEMICAL
REACTIONS; FLUORIDES; HEATING; HIGH TEMPERATURE;
HYDROFLUORIC ACID; MAGNESIUM; OXIDATION; RECOVERY;
REDUCTION; REPROCESSING; SEPARATION PROCESSES; SLAGS;
SOLIDS; SOLUTIONS; SULFURIC ACID; URANIUM; URANIUM OXIDES;
URANIUM SULFATES; URANIUM TETRAFLUORIDE; WATER
Country of Publication United States
Language English
Format Size: Pages: v
Rights Patent Assignee: U.S. Atomic Energy Commission

The Rockwell one that led me here

United States Patent 4874599
Abstract:A method of obtaining magnesium fluoride
substantially free from radioactive uranium from a slag
containing the same and having a radioactivity level of at
least about 7000 pCi/gm. The slag is ground to a particle
size of about 200 microns or less. The ground slag is
contacted with an acid under certain prescribed conditions
to produce a liquid product and a particulate solid
product. The particulate solid product is separated from
the liquid and treated at least two more times with acid to
produce a solid residue consisting essentially of magnesium
fluoride substantially free of uranium and having a
residual radioactivity level of less than about 1000
pCi/gm. In accordance with a particularly preferred
embodiment of the invention a catalyst and an oxidizing
agent are used during the acid treatment and preferably the
acid is sulfuric acid having a strength of about 1.0
Normal.