[ RadSafe ] Lung, Liver, and Bone Cancer in Mayak Workers due to Plutonium

Cindy Bloom radbloom at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 14:42:53 CDT 2008

Gary,

I'll share my ignorance and maybe some more knowledgeable person will jump
in.  Based on the link I sent previously, it appears that the relative risk
(RRs) for liver cancer for the mixed population was 17 or 2.8 (depending on
the exposure or exposure potential), which puts the ERR at 16 or 1.8 (if
I'm adjusting appropriately).  In the U.S. in recent years, it looks like
liver cancer incidence or mortality is about 3 times as high for males as
for females;  the statistics I found for Russia indicate that the
difference is about a factor of 2.  To me this indicates that it's likely
that the numbers reported in the abstract probably don't include a dropped
decimal point.

In rereading this abstract I noticed that the liver and bone estimates are
listed as average-attained age ERRs, not ERRs per gray (and so it's not
clear that these latter two categories include a dose component).  It would
be really interesting to see how/if the doses were determined for all
categories and what the confidence intervals were.

Cindy